Get a Library Card
If you are a resident of Allegheny County, you are eligible for a library card, good at the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, its branches and most district libraries in Allegheny County.
The Classic Card is free to residents of Allegheny County or Pennsylvania residents with an Access PA library card. You will receive a wallet-sized library card that is renewable every two years.
To Apply for the Classic Card
- Stop by any Carnegie Library location and submit this print application.
- Submit your application online. (You must be 18 years of age or older to apply online.)
To receive your card, you must present valid identification showing proof of your current address and a photo ID. Applications for children age 17 and under require a signature from a parent or guardian.
If you are a Pennsylvania resident living outside of Allegheny County and you have a card from your local Access Pennsylvania Library, you are also eligible for a free library card. Out-of-county residents who do not have a card with an Access Pennsylvania Library sticker can obtain a library card by paying an annual fee of $30 ($10 for children).
- What You Can Do with Your Library Card
- Acceptable Identification for Opening or Renewing an Account
- Register for the Classic Card Online
- Print out the Classic Card Application
- Learn more about the Donor Plus Card
- Print out the Donor Plus Card Application