|"The building has rightfully
in the center as the focus "The Library" -- Music Hall upon the right and
the Working Man's Club upon the left. These three foundations from which
healing waters are to flow for the Instruction, Entertainment and Happiness
of the people. Recreation of the working man has an important bearing upon
his character and development as his hours of work."
-- Andrew Carnegie
"The seed was sown for the greatest endowment in American history, when a mere messenger boy named Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish immigrant rasied in "Barefoot Square" in old Allegheny town, gained access to the 400 volume library of Colonel James Anderson. By the time of his death in 1919, Andrew Carnegie had endowed $65 million to erect and fill 2,499 libraries in communities across the United States and other English speaking countries.
The Carnegie Library of Homestead was dedicated by Mr. Carnegie on November 5, 1898. The facility includes a Music Hall, Library, and Athletic Club. It was designed in the French Renaissance style and sits on a hillside overlooking the great expanse of the former location of Andrew Carnegie's Homestead Steel Works along the Monongahela River.