CAPTION: Irene Kaufmann Settlement--Art Class. NOTES: Center Ave., Hill District. "Founded in 1897 to aid immigrants settling on the 'Hill,' the Irene Kaufmann Settlement was so named in 1909 when 'Uncle Henry' Kaufmann provided a new building at 1835 Center Ave. in memory of his daughter. It was re-named in 1957 for Anna B. Heldman, pioneer visiting nurse. Above, a children's class in painting, one of the many diversions offered at the center." Esther Bubley. PHOTOGRAPHER: Esther Bubley. DATE: June 1950. HEADING: Pittsburgh. Social Settlement. Irene Kaufmann Settlement.; Pittsburgh. Children. #: Neg. Number 65; A255. From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department, The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.