CAPTION: Classic Grecian Beauty: The front of Mellon Institute's new building at Pittsburgh, which is to be dedicated May 6 [,1937] in honor of the founders, Andrew W. and Richard B. Mellon, reveals in this photograph the simple lines of the structure, surrounded by its four-sided row of 62 Ionic columns. It fails to reveal the depth of breadth of the structure, however. To erect a building which would seem low in height, three floors were built into rock below the street level, natural light being provided by interior courts. The entrance to the edifice, from the gradually-ascending steps shown, is at the fourth story. 337138 For Immediate Release. NOTES: Now (1995) part of Carnegie Mellon University. Home of the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center. PHOTOGRAPHER: Altwater & Bro., Pittsburgh, Photographs, Murals, Gravure Prints. DATE: . HEADING: #: P8913. From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department, The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.
mages 1. arrative. utline. eighborhoods. ain Menu.