From The Winged Head, publication of the Pittsburgh Athletic Association, October 1976.
The Pittsburgh Blind Association has been a
pioneer in serving
Allegheny County residents who are visually handicapped, and particularly
those blind with other handicaps.
The organization was founded in 1910 as The Pittsburgh Workshop for the Blind, and two years later was chartered under the name, Pennsylvania Association for the Blind. In 1939, the Association moved to Harrisburg and the Pittsburgh facility was subsequently chartered as its Pittsburgh Branch.
Today, the agency operates as an independent entity as Pittsburgh Blind
Association (PBA) and is affiliated with the Pennsylvania Association.
In addition to the State Association, the Pittsburgh Agency is affiliated with the National Society for the Prevention of Blindness, American Foundation for the Blind, National Rehabilitation Association, the University of Pittsburgh Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Rehabilitation and Special Education, and Social Work. Liaison is particularly good with the county medical society and the Pittsburgh Ophthalmological Society.
Until recently, the PBA has operated out of an antiquated and overcrowded 50-year-old building at 300 S. Craig St., Oakland. [Note: A renovated building was dedicated at the same location on April 19, 1977. (1)]