Oakland: The Carnegie:
Pittsburg's Promised Land
From The Bulletin, 2 November 1895.
The week beginning to-morrow will witness an epoch in the history of the city of Pittsburg and an era in her development. Generations hence, the American schoolboy, if asked to tell something of interest and importance regarding the great city of Western Pennsylvania will have to refer to the episodes of the first week of November, 1895, or be set down as a dullard in American history. Next week this city, in the eyes of the world, puts aside the characteristics of a great workshop and takes her first step toward becoming a centre of art and of music. The new era will date from the evening of Tuesday next, when the Carnegie building, Schenley Park, will be handed over to the city by its donor, Andrew Carnegie. For two years Pittsburgers have waited with deep interest the progress toward completion of this splendid building. To-day finds it finished, perfect in every part, containing a superb organ and beautiful Music Hall, the nucleus of a great library, and a million dollars' worth of paintings. Truly Pittsburg's Promised Land is in plain sight. For twice forty years there has been weary wandering through the wilderness of utilitarianism behind pillars of smoke by day and of fire by night. But the Pittsburger of the present can stand upon the Schenley Park Pisgah and look confidently to the new era wherein men shall come from afar to receive the benefits here available; to be perfected in music and in painting and in the sciences; to sit, in fact, at the feet of the once contemned and smoky Gamaliel, and to learn that, through Carnegie, good can and has come out of this Nazareth of mills and workshops. All honor to Andrew Carnegie, and to his able assistants, and a royal welcome to the Greater Pittsburg's new era!Photonote