The Point: 1843
CAPTION: The Point, 1843.
A closeup of The Point from this engraving.
"This view was taken from the hill behind Sligo. In the
foreground are seen a glass-house and dwellings of manufacturers.
On the right is the Monongahela bridge, the Steamboat landing, and
the Monongahela House, near the end of the bridge. To the left of
that is the cupola of the University, and farther to the left, on
high ground, the new Court House, and Cathedral, with the spire of
the Presbyterian Church between them. On the left is the Allegheny
river, with several bridges leading to Allegheny town: the second
bridge sustains the aqueduct of the canal. Beyond these bridges are
seen Bayard's town and Lawrenceville."
[Source for this engraving and description is unknown.]
From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department,
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.
Return to The Point