South Side: John Eichleay Jr. Co.
CAPTION: Moving the "Brown Mansion."
NOTES: "Captain Samuel S. Brown's 24-room mansion
was built in 1868 on the bank of the Monongahela. In 1903, then
owned by his nephew, James Ward, Jr., it stood in the way of oncoming
B & O Railroad tracks. So, at a cost of $40,000, the John Eichleay,
Jr., firm elevated it 160 feet (as shown here) and moved it 600 feet
to what now is Brown's Hill, Squirrel Hill. An estimated $200,000 in
heirlooms and art objects was lost when fire destroyed the landmark in
Courtesy of the Eichleay Corp.
Banner strung across porch: "[John Eichelay Jr. Co. ...]"
Another photograph offers a side view of the house.
HEADING: Pittsburgh. Houses.
From the Collections of the Pennsylvania Department,
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh.