Services for Teachers & Librarians
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh offers a variety of special services to teachers and librarians. Please ask your local librarian for additional information.
Who is eligible for a Teacher Card?
- Elementary or middle school educators or childcare providers working in Allegheny County.
- Those who work in educational non-school settings also may be eligible. Please contact a Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh location to determine if you qualify.
- Cards for student teachers are valid for the specific months in which the student is teaching.
How do I obtain a Teacher Card?
- A Teacher Card may be obtained anytime from August 1st through July 31st (the academic year).
- You need to apply in person. Bring with you:
- A letter on institution letterhead signed by the principal or director indicating your status as an employee for the current or upcoming school year
- A valid personal public library card or identification containing proof of address
- After completing an application, a Teacher Card will be issued to you. Cards MUST be renewed annually and an employment verification letter must be presented each school year.
What material is available using a Teacher Card?
- A Teacher Card may be used in Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh locations only.
- You may choose items yourself or have the librarian assist you.
- The number of items loaned from one agency will depend on the size of the collection and availability.
- NOTE: Personal, 7-day material, or recreational adult materials may not be checked out on a Teacher Card.
How long may I keep items borrowed on a Teacher Card?
- The standard loan period is 4 weeks with one 4-week renewal allowed if the items is not on reserve or overdue.
- Items may be renewed in person by bringing in the items or by using the About My Account feature of the online catalog.
- Books may be renewed by using the telephone renewal number (412) 622-1895. Click here for more information about renewing items.
Are there any late fees or other charges associated with a Teacher Card?
- Library material must be returned on time.
- Effective October 2001, late fees for overdue children's materials borrowed from the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh will not be charged.
- You are responsible for the cost of lost or damaged items.
- Misuse of a Teacher Card will result in suspension of borrowing privileges
Teachers are encouraged to request collections of materials for use in their classrooms.
Does Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh staff make school visits?
Librarians make scheduled visits to schools within their service area to tell stories and/or promote upcoming library activities. Librarians may also be invited to classrooms for curriculum-related storytelling, book talks, or as speakers to teachers or parent groups.
How do I arrange to bring students to the library?
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh welcomes visits from you and your students. Please call in advance to schedule any class trip. Storytimes, introduction to the online catalog, guided tours, and a variety of other programs are available for your classes.
How do I obtain library cards for my students?
Library cards are free to residents of Allegheny County. Please contact the children's librarian at a Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh location about obtaining cards for your students. If you are planning a class visits and would like your students to receive their library cards during their visit, please contact the Library in advance.
Prior to your visit, please:
- pick up the applications for students
- have a completed application for each student signed by a parent or legal guardian
- return completed applications to the library