|Friends||The North Side|
|History of Allegheny Regional||Public Meeting Room|
|Col. James Anderson Monument||Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council|
Built in what was formerly the City of Allegheny, The Carnegie Free Library (as it was originally called), became the model for the thousands of publicly funded Carnegie libraries across the country. Carnegie once said, "Allegheny was my first love," and it was here that he offered $250,000 to build a library on the condition that it would be municipally supported. The City of Allegheny accepted Mr. Carnegie's offer in 1886. The building eventually cost $300,000 and in 1915 Mr. Carnegie gave an additional $150,000 for its enlargement. The building also housed a music hall with seating for 1,100 people. The architects were Smithmeyer and Pelz of Washington, D.C., who had completed the Library Congress in 1889.
In 1956, the Carnegie Free Library of Allegheny merged with the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh to become the Allegheny Regional Branch Library. In 1967, plans were drawn for remodeling and library operations were moved to rented quarters in Allegheny Center Mall. The interior renovation and exterior cleaning of the massive granite structure took seven years, and on May 19, 1974, the first free Carnegie public library supported by public funds reopened its doors. Since its original construction in 1889, the library has been renovated several times, in 1897, 1905 and 1958. Additions were constructed in 1901 and 1906.
NOTE: Above text excerpted from the 1990 brochure The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, Allegheny Regional Branch, Celebrates Its 100th Aniversary Year.
A third floor meeting room/lecture hall, with a capacity of 120 people, is available at no charge to non-profit organizations during regular library hours. For profit agencies may use the room for a small fee. Preference in scheduling is given to library related activities. To obtain more information, a fee schedule or to make a reservation, please call the library at 412-237-1890.
In 1904 Andrew Carnegie commissioned architect Henry Bacon and sculptor Daniel Chester French, who collaborated on the Lincoln Memorial, to create a memorial to Colonel James Anderson. It was Anderson's generosity that inspired Andrew Carnegie to establish public libraries throughout the world. When Carnegie was a bobbin boy in a Pittsburgh factory, Colonel Anderson opened his personal library each Saturday to local "working boys."
The monument includes a bronze bust of Anderson, the figure of "Labor," a shirtless young workman seated on an anvil, and a large exedra (an elliptical granite bench). It was dismantled during the 1960's urban renewal of the Northside.
Ann P. Wardrop, a Life Trustee of The Carnegie, led the effort to restore the monument. The reconstruction, using the same kind of pink granite Henry Bacon used in 1904, cost in excess of $300,000. The memorial was rededicated May 15, 1988.
NOTE: Above text from the 1990 brochure The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, Allegheny Regional Branch, Celebrates Its 100th Aniversary Year.
Allegheny Regional is proud to provide adminstrative and tutoring space for the North West Area Office of the Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council. Prospective students, tutors, and/or volunteers should call 412-322-4442.