Bringing a School Group to the
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
All visits are by advance reservation only.
We are happy to have your group visit the library and we offer a variety of
programs. There must be a minimum of one adult for every eight students.
Teachers and chaperones are responsible for group supervision and control.
Library visits must be booked separately from Museum visits.
Preschool through Grade 7
Contact the Children's Department at (412) 622-3122.
Available topics/programs [Content is adapted to the age level]:
- Storytimes (Toddler - Grade 2)
- Introduction to the Library (Preschool - Grade 7)
Why we have libraries; how this library came to be; what's available in the library; how to use the library
- Storytelling (Kindergarten - Grade 7)
- Black History or Women's History (Grades 1 - 7)
- How a Book is Made (Grades 2 - 7)
- Using Reference Sources Other than Encyclopedias (Grades 3 - 7)
- Pittsburgh Kids (Grades 3 - 7)
Pittsburgh history & historical fiction
- Booktalks (Grades 3 - 7)
Brief talks on a variety of books
- Introduction to the World Wide Web (Grades 4 - 7)
- Using Online Databases (Grades 4 - 7)
- The First Amendment (Grades 4 - 7)
Library cards are available free to all residents of Allegheny County.
If you want your students to be able to check out books during your visit,
they should bring their library cards with them. For students who do not
have cards already, you must make prior arrangements for library card registration. Teacher Loans for books are available. Please ask for further information.
Grades 8 and up
To schedule a school tour, you many fill out an online form, call 412-622-3121, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Useful Numbers
- To arrange Museum visits - (412) 622-3289
- School loans of educational collections from the Museum - (412) 622-3292
- Cafeteria reservations - (412) 622-3317
- Customer service, Carnegie Museums - (412) 622-3378
Return to the top
Return to Children's home