All Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh locations will be closed on Tuesday, December 24th and Wednesday, December 25th in observance of Christmas. All locations will reopen on Thursday, December 26th.
Industrial Home for Crippled Children
- Established - 1902
- Closed - ?
- 1st site - Margaretta and Beatty Streets (old William Thaw estate)
- 2nd site - 1426 Denniston Avenue (Squirrel Hill) (1907)
- Also Known As:
- Memorial Home for Crippled Children (1902)
- Home for Crippled Children (1958)
- Rehabilitation Institute of Pittsburgh (1981)
- The Children's Institute
- Mary Irwin Laughlin Houghton (Mrs. Frederick O.)
- Sponsoring Agency:
- Founded in memory of Mrs. Houghton's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Irwin B.
- Moved to the Denniston site and changed name to Industrial Home for
Crippled Children in 1907.
- Some of the children attended the Colfax School.
- Location of Records:
- The Children's Institute, 1405 Shady Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15217-1350; 412-420-2400.
- PA Department Vertical Files (Hospitals)
- Directory of Institutions in Pennsylvania, 1916 **(r361 P3993)**
- 1933 Directory of Social Agencies
- 1943 Directory of Social Resources
- 1968 Directory of Health and Welfare Services
- Annual Report (1951) of the Industrial Home for Crippled Children