Mayview State Hospital
- Established - 1818
- Closed - still open
- 1st site - Virgin Alley near the corner of Wood Street (1818)
- 2nd site - Ohio Lane in the Reserve Tract northwest of Allegheny City
(1822). Cemetery was also located on the western part of the property.
Bodies were removed to the Mt. Union Cemetery (Union Dale Cemetery, 2200
Brighton Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 ; 412-321-0774) when the site was
- 3rd site - Mifflin Twp. (City Farm / Almshouse - 1852). Sold to the
Carnegie Steel Company before 1900.
- 4th site - Mayview
- Also Known As:
- Pittsburgh Almshouse
- Poor Farm/City Farm
- City Home and Hospital
- Marshalsea - began to accept the insane from Dixmont in 1898
- Sponsoring Agency:
Began as an almshouse for the indigent; also accepted homeless orphans.
Later accepted acute and chronically ill and insane patients. Became a
state hospital in 1939.
- Location of Records:
- Pennsylvania State Archives, Record Group 23 - Dept. of
Public Welfare, Mayview State Hospital
- PA Department Vertical Files (Hospitals)
- Pittsburgh Photographic Library (Social Settlements - 1)
- 1933 Directory of Social Agencies
- 1943 Directory of Social resources
- History of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, Vol. 1, pp. 702-703
**(rF157 .A4 H6 1977x)**
- Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, Vol. 1, no. 4, p. 185
- Recollections of Seventy Years and Historical Gleanings, pp. 170-171